Sunday, November 29, 2015

Sept 30 2013

¡Hola!
I made it to Ecuador finally! The area I am in is called Vista Hermosa which is a pretty slummy town in the mountains. And apparently we are in the three month dry season for Ecuador and have still had a few storms that made me think I was going to drown. The streets here are so steep and I pretty much hike the equivalent of Mnt. Sheriden everyday (ok maybe not that bad). My companion is Elder Mendoza from Columbia. Turns out that about 18% of the missionaries in this mission are English speakers so pretty much everyone gets a trainer from Central or South America. It makes me learn the language fast but it is really hard because I have no clue what is going on most of the time. He gets frustrated with my Spanish sometimes but he is an obedient and hard worker which I am very grateful for. I had a constant headache for the first few days because of the change in altitude here but I am used to it now. I haven't got very many chances to teach in an actual appointment because people here set up an appointment with us but then cancel last minute pretty much every time. But I love contacting! That is when I get to see the coolest stuff and when I feel like we have the most success. Half the time people say they are catholic and shut us down, and then the other half they listen and seem pretty interested. Or sometimes they think we are the CIA and run away. I have had a few kids feel my hair and call me an Italiano which makes me laugh. The members here are way awesome. They love to make fun of my Spanish but they are very nice. I got to talk in sacrament meeting yesterday but I pretty much just gave my same talk I gave last week for sacrament meeting in the CCM. At first I wasn't so sure about this area but it is starting to grow on me. I have met tons of cool people and I am excited to progress and get better at being a missionary.
Mi Familia,
Dad- I'm sorry to here about aunt Dorris and thanks for your letter. Also, there is a missionary in my district from Viña del Mar and I talked to him for a few minutes at a zone conference. He was so excited to here that you were a missionary there because he is a convert.
Mom- Sorry I scared you on Tuesday. I was sitting in the airport worried that you were going to call my mission president in a panic
Audrey- I am jealous you get to go to Florida
Ian- Those Frisbee kids are crazy aren't they
Alicia- Thanks for you letter. I cant believe you have grown out of stuffed animals
Isaac- Keep playing bang
This computer wont let me send pics but I will try and get some to you someday.
I miss you all and pray for you everyday.
¡Yo sé que el Evangelio es verdadero!

-Elder AJ Durrant

No comments:

Post a Comment